WhatsApp has grown to the extent that some of us cannot afford to lose our WhatsApp data. You might have gotten a new phone and one of the questions that run through your mind is – how to move WhatsApp to new phone without losing data? Well, this post provides answer for that question.
I have been hooked up with this same question several times and browsed many websitesto find answer, but all my efforts proved abortive until I figured how to achieve this myself which I’m going to show you in this post. Not only can you move messages, you can also move all your WhatsApp images, audios, videos, stickers, voice notes, animated gifs and other documents.
Note: this post is specifically for android users.
Table of Contents
- How to Effectively Move WhatsApp To New Phone Without Losing Data
- Important things to note
How to Effectively Move WhatsApp To New Phone Without Losing Data
Follow these steps to effectively backup and restore WhatsApp on new android phone.
Stage 1: back up WhatsApp on the old phone
First and foremost, you have to ensure that you make backup of your latest WhatsApp messages on the old phone.
How to back up WhatsApp
- Open WhatsApp on the old phone, navigate to settings >> Chats >> Chat backup
- On the chat backup screen, ensure that “Back up to Google Drive” is set to “Never” since you are just creating a local backup.
- Then, click on “BACK UP” and wait for the backup to complete.
Note: disconnect internet connections on the old phone, so that new massages won’t get in and subsequently left out in the back up.
Once the back up is completed, you can move on to the next .
Stage 2: Transfer the backed-up file from the old phone to the new phone
In this stage you will learn how to effectively move your WhatsApp folder which contains all you WhatsApp data to your new phone.
WhatsApp folder is usually located at the root folder of your internal storage or SD card. For some android phones you can locate WhatsApp folder in this pattern – Internal Storage >> Android >> media >> com.whatsapp
If the WhatsApp is installed on SD card, just remove the SD card and insert on the new phone then copy the WhatsApp folder to the root of the internal storage.
If WhatsApp is not installed on SD card, insert SD card with enough space into the old phone, copy the WhatsApp folder to the SD card, remove the SD card and insert on the new phone, then copy the WhatsApp folder to the root of the internal storage.
Alternatively, you can use Xender or any file transfer app to send the WhatsApp folder to the new phone, once, you have sent the file on the new phone, locate the file is this pattern – Internal storage or SD card >> Xender >> folder >> WhatsApp, then copy and place the file on root of the internal storage.
Once you have successfully transferred the file to the new phone, you are now set to restore WhatsApp on the new phone.
Step 3: Install / reinstall and restore WhatsApp on the new phone
- Install and open WhatsApp on your new Android device.
- Read the Terms and Conditions and tap “Agree and Continue”.
- Verify your country and phone number when prompted (Must be same number used on the old phone).
- Input the six-digit verification code if required.
- Click on “CONTINUE” to allow WhatsApp to access your you backup files, contacts, photos, media, and files.
- WhatsApp will now search and automatically detect the backup data and prompt you to restore.
- Click on restore and wait for the messages and media to restore.
Once the restoration is done, you can now pickup from where you stopped on your new phone.
You may like to check 👇
- How To Download Facebook Video On Android (the easiest approach)
- How to Take Advantage of MTN Welcome Back Offer to Enjoy Unlimited Cheap Data
Important things to note
- While backing up your messages on the old phone do not forget to disable your data connection.
- Move WhatsApp folder as a whole from the old phone to the new phone.
- Use the same WhatsApp number on the old phone on the new phone, else the process will not work.
I believe you have learnt how to how to move WhatsApp to new phone without losing data, that’s if you follow the post holistically. As we said before, this post can help you back up and restore WhatsApp from android to android.
Check out this post here if you looking for how to back up and restore WhatsApp from android to iPhone
If you have any question or suggestion, you can share it with us via the comment section below.